I LOVE THE SCIENCE

What is science?


Science is the concerted human effort to understand, or to understand better, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of that understanding1. It is done through observation of natural phenomena, and/or through experimentation that tries to simulate natural processes under controlled conditions.

Why do we need science?

Laser surgery . . . life in a meteorite from Mars . . . cable television . . . the Internet . . . gene therapy . . . faxes . . . . These are signs of our times, markers of the late 20th century's scientific and technological revolution. Science and technology have changed the way we work, communicate, and view the world.

Why do we love science?

As we find and share new bits of information, we use them to update (and sometimes shatter) our understanding of the world. These new understandings inevitably raise new questions and areas to explore. This process excites me and has (for better or for worse) leaked into most parts of my life. I think that from the questions that I ask and am interested in answering, I’ve gotten a better idea of what things really matter to me. My hope is that as we continue to do science, our questions, methods, and answers become reflections of ourselves and our communities.



Comentarios

Entradas populares